CHO: Misinformation affects Bacolod ‘Ligtas Tigdas’ drive

SHARE THIS STORY
TWEET IT
Email

• THERESA MAE DULMAN

The Bacolod City Health Office (CHO) is facing challenges in its ongoing anti-measles campaign, with many parents refusing to have their children vaccinated due to misinformation circulating online.

CHO head, Dr. Ma. Carmela Gensoli, expressed concern that unverified social media claims alleging that some children fell ill after receiving the shots have fueled fear and hesitancy among parents.

“People still have a lot of negative feedback. They don’t know that we are doing this for the good of their children. We will not give vaccines if it is not safe,” Gensoli said, adding that vaccination is free of charge.

She explained that the immunization serves as a booster or supplemental dose designed to safeguard children five years old and below from measles and rubella, and also provide them with Vitamin A supplementation.

But due to the persistent vaccine hesitancy, especially in big barangays, turnout remains low, with barely 50 percent of the total target population of eligible children vaccinated, so far, the CHO said.

Gensoli said weekend vaccination in malls have also yielded poor turnout, with fewer than 10 children availing of shots per weekend, based on CHO records.

She added that even barangay captains joined their campaign house to house, noting that the vaccination is voluntary.

The Department of Health targets to vaccinate close to 49,000 eligible children across Bacolod until Aug. 28. | TMD